- (ref: Royal Free Epidemic of 1955: A Reconsideration. Colin P McEvedy; AW Beard. BMJ 1970:1:7-11).
- (ref: The Clinical Syndrome Variously Called Benign Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Iceland Disease and Epidemic Neuromyasthenia. ED Acheson. Am J Med 1959:569-595 / the author subsequently became Sir Donald Acheson, UK Chief Medical Officer)
- 3 (ref: Gilliam AG; Epidemiological study of an epidemic diagnosed as poliomyelitis occurring among the personnel of Los Angeles County General Hospital during the summer of 1934: Public Health Bulletin, US Treasury Dept No 240, 1938.
- 4 (ref: Leading Article: A new clinical entity?: Lancet 1956:1:789-790)
- 5 (ref: November 1978:vol 54: No. 637 pp 709-774, ed. WH Lyle & RN Chamberlain, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford).
- 6 (ref: ICD 10: G.93.3).
- 7 (ref: Osler's Web - Inside the Labyrinth of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic. Hillary Johnson. Crown Publishers Inc. New York, 1996).
- 8 (ref: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Joint Royal Colleges' Report CR54: Royal College of Physicians Publication Unit,1996).
- 9 (ref: Chronic fatigue, ME, and ICD 10. David A; Wessely S. Lancet 1993:342:1247- 1248).
- 10 (ref: Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of fluoxetine in chronic fatigue syndrome. Jan HMM Vercoulen, Caroline Swanink et al. Lancet 1996:347:858-861).
- 11 (ref: ICD 10 G.93.3)
- 12 (ref: ICD 10 F.48).
- 13 (ref: ICD10:M.79);
- 14 (ref: A report - chronic fatigue syndrome: guidelines for research. Sharpe MC, Wessely S et al. J R Soc Med 1991:84:118-121)
- 15 (ref: The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Comprehensive Approach to Its definition and Study. Keiji Fukuda, Michael C Sharpe, Simon Wessely et al. Annals of Internal Medicine; 1994:121:953-959)
- 16 (ref: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: A baffling syndrome with a tragic aftermath. A.Melvin Ramsay. Pub The ME Association, 1981; revised 1990: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: a persistent enteroviral infection? Dowsett EG, Ramsay AM. Postgraduate Medical Journal 1990:66:526-530).
- 17. (ref: A Report of the CFS/ME Working Group. Report to the Chief Medical Officer of an Independent Working Group. February 2002".)